Thursday, August 26, 2021

Franklin Mint Princess Diana - The People's Princess

She finally arrived! Franklin Mint's Princess Diana, The People's Princess



 Here she is de-boxed with her purse and bouquet of flowers in the blue Chanel suit. I always loved this simple outfit. 









She is truly stunning. I found her on Poshmark at a great price , where I also sell. You can sell more than clothing and shoes on Poshmark, I sell china, glass, dolls, toys, books. Other places I would have had to pay twice the amount of shipping, Poshmark charges flat shipping- $7.95 and sometimes when sellers make you an offer it can be less. I have been watching prices for this doll on eBay, Mercari, and Poshmark and finally got an incredible deal I just could not pass by. 

There is a story- an indirect story with this doll and why I wanted her. My mother had this doll- boxed. She loved Ashton-Drake dolls and especially Franklin Mint celebrity dolls- and saved for this doll, making payments for her. In the 80's and the 1990's Franklin Mint came out with many of the celebrity dolls such as this one and she also wanted the Jackie Kennedy doll. She always said, if something happens to me- I want you to have this doll. She was never a de-boxer of her dolls. At her death, inadvertently, my dad let one of her 'friends' and her daughter come in and take all of her dolls, who were also doll collectors. At the time, so soon after her death, which was a few months, I just did not have it in me to go through her collection so soon. We had been sorting through other items. It broke me , to say the least when this doll and another one I had given her, were taken. Though I was given one doll back, this one was never returned, nor were the others. Though I have moved on, I decided to go ahead from that point on and purchase the doll for myself. I love Princess Diana, so it is not a hard doll to add to my collection. I am now looking for her in the 'Elvis' dress, another one I thought was lovely. 

From then on, I have discovered a new collecting sphere- Franklin Mint dolls- thanks to my mother's love of them and through collecting Gene Marshall. The quality of the clothing is the equal to that of the Gene Marshall dolls and I have seen scenes with the dolls and they mesh together. 

*On a side note. I encourage people not to leave your dolls to chance. If you are not a de-boxer, put a sticky note on the bottom of the box who you wish to leave the doll to, it will not harm the integrity of the box/doll. Leave a list with your intentions/ wishes in a safe place and copy with your will/ lawyer. Also a value and price guide to how much you paid, etc. Those in your family who think dolls are of no value and 'just want to get rid of them' like my dad or have no sentimentality or before a collection can be properly sorted. *

I hope you have enjoyed the photos!

Lisa 

Below are a few photos I snapped after unpacking it- of course Queen Fluffy had to know what was going on! She loves my dolls and had to jump up into HER chair and get into the photos!