Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Dolls of a Larger Scale..Madame Alexander Cissy

I have been wanting to write about this gorgeous antique/vintage lovely since I was lucky enough to win her.  Lately, Vintage/antique Madame Alexander Cissy dolls have become an obsession of mine to obtain. 

Last year I acquired one through an auction of dolls that were in a tub, of vintage dolls and really had no idea of the find I had acquired. She was lovely. I knew she was a Madame Alexander Cissy, the ornate gown and hat gave it away. I did my research and found she was one of the lovely dolls in gowns and a hard to find doll. Pictures of that doll can be found in my Flicker Album- Cissy dolls .

Ever since I sold her, I have researched more and become fascinated with the history of the Cissy dolls. I had a customer from several years ago who purchased a large quantity of the large scale Bespaq in 1:3 scales for these dolls so it made me even more interested in the dolls. I also stumbled across this link-  www.dolledition.com  on research, on their in depth gowns, and information since it is hard to find a website, including Madame Alexander's website, that contains information on the dolls themselves with all of the info on their clothing, shoes, hairstyles, body info. 

Cissy dolls are unusual in that they are what might be the 'first' ball jointed dolls. Madame Alexander paid great attention to the details of haute couture in the clothing, after WWll and it is fascinating how she worked with great designers to bring those designs to her dolls. 

The doll I won was a fluke win...Here is the auction LINK

I usually browse the Cissy dolls on eBay and several sites to see what dolls are going for as I have been shopping for months now to get a 'deal'...which has eluded me.  I knew a 'nude' doll could possibly cost me anywhere from $175 -250! with no cracks, splits etc. or possibly that much on a lucky day if she had an outfit and no shoes on. I got a heck of a deal on this auction simply because the person listing did not describe her that well. For those of you who do not know, Cissy dolls measure between 20 and 21 inches tall. 

She did have a couple of issues- her eyelashes are missing a little on one eye. She has a finger that is coming loose that was not described, but that can be fixed. This Cissy is a 1955 wearing #2083 Her orginal outfit with petticoat and undies- she is missing her original shoes and natural straw hat, and little hatbox with letter to mail.  Here are the photos of her . I purchased shoes that would match her original ones as close as possible. 










The furniture is Bespaq in 1:3 scale. The teaset is Samantha Historical American Girl. The fern/plant is a Michael's find. Rug is a dollhouse miniature . The little orchid on the tea tray was purchased from an artist at a Christmas show. The photo/picture hanging on the wall is a picture copied from the internet and put into a  $1 photo frame.

No comments: