Saturday, March 3, 2012

Part lll: Barbietown building progress...







Here is the continuing progress of my project..or obsession...lol...This morning as soon as I got up I checked the paperclay which was dry and immediatelybegan to add the color washes. I have been soooooooo focused on this project I keep dreaming about what it will look like...and then I go build! It has been a while since I have had the time to do this, and sometimes I have had to make time in the early hours of the morning, sculpting, painting, etc. Above pics you can see how I added the colorwashes to the stone foundation and exposed brick- I still have more color to add to the foundation. For fun I posed some dolls, my doll's Jag, and the brick wall backdrop I created last summer for my custom skateboarder, who is also in the picture and adds a bit of busy life to a shopping scene.





Here is how I started this morning with the first series of 'dirty' washes with acrylics to add color. first I started with brown paint, thinned with water, then a thinned out 'dirty' wash of black, these colors add the dirt and grime and age underneath your main color palette. I drybrushed on the reds to the exposed brick. The stone foundation will need more color, but with joint compound it is best to let it dry for a day fully before adding more color. I intend to finish this building as fully as I can before going onto the next shop set that will be next door- for now to give an idea, the above photos with the brick wall backdrop beside it will give a great illusion of what I jokingly refer to as 'Barbietown'....
~Lisa

No comments: