Friday, June 12, 2020

Vintage Barbies in the Mail!

I have had some recent - just two- bad buying experiences on Mercari recently and today my dolly delivery made up for it. 

Today I received two packages in the mail, which mystified me as I had only ordered one item. Then I remembered I had canceled an order on Mercari when the seller 2 weeks ago had made me an offer I could not refuse for a Barbie/Ken Wizard of Oz Tin Man in the box (had been displayed) for about $12 with shipping which came to about $17+ dollars. She waited about the whole three days before printing the label and then did not seem to ship the item, as it was never scanned. I waited two days and then sent a message and asked if the item had been shipped as it had not shown up as shipping in the system, if it had been scanned. I was wondering if she had even shipped it, but just printed the label and would ship 'whenever' she wished, (Mercari is notorious for sellers doing this) . She did not answer my message for a day so frustrated, it had been five days, I canceled the order and went about my business. TWO DAYS LATER SHE CONTACTS ME ! And asked if the item had shown up in the mail???

Well, Mercari seller, it did. Thankfully for her, after a long back and forth, I told her I would send the package back. How she shipped this item first class I do not know, as it was in a large box and had to weigh more than 1 lb. I refused the package and took it back to the post office and wrote on the box 'return to sender' .  Ugh. 

But my two 'vintage' from 1995 and 1996 showed up today. One is Patriot Barbie and another is Lady Liberty Barbie. This doll is so gorgeous. Both were new in box. I got them both in a lot on ebay for best offer at a great price with shipping. I have been working on getting my 'fourth of July' Barbies together and these were two dolls I really wanted to display for the upcoming decor this year on my table and mantel. 

So here they are-



           The detail on both of these dolls is stunning. They are both FAO Schwartz Toy limited editions. I simply adore the pink George outfit. And her hair. The boxes are very well done too. I wish that they did the dolls so well now as they did back then. 







These are the close ups of the Patriot George Washington Barbie. Next is the Lady Liberty Barbie. 








I will take more photos of them out of the box closer to Fourth of July when I get my decorations set up. I am thinking of using Lady Liberty as a centerpiece doll for the table, like my friend Leslie did at our Fourth of July party at her house for our doll club meeting last year. She even had the matching plate with this doll, nearby with a tiny custom Lady Liberty Kelly doll that matched by the famous Luis! IT was a wonderful table display. 

Here is the famous photo from my blog post last year-


Happy Fourth of July 2019 blog post 

I loved this centerpiece so much. Looking at it, now I remember she used a gold cake plate with hanging crystal type pendants , one you can buy at the hobby store. It really was eye catching to see. 

I have a plain glass one that I was thinking of using and maybe using some red or blue glitter rope to outline her on the table. 

More on my fourth of July doll endeavors coming soon!

No comments: