Saturday, February 7, 2015

Extreme Kitbash: Progress & a Tutorial on Slate floors

Today is Saturday and I have made alot of progress, plus a little tutorial on how I am making realistic flagstone slate floors in my little Tudor cottage.

First materials I used. 

You will need-
Peel and stick tiles from Home Depot or Lowe's- mine cost .99 cents
an exacto knife sharp
glue tacky or liquid nail
your base cardboard, or wood for your floor
and your mortar - this can be anything- caulk, drywall joint compound
damp cloth or rag
spreader tool- helps get mortar in the cracks

First, take your tile and measure off in 2 inch spaces on all four sides on the back

Then make a graph of 2 inch squares all over the back like the 2nd picture above. Now, score them with your blade, going over each line carefully, scoring, then 'breaking' the score

You will want to take your scissors and cut off the strips or use your exacto which may be more precise but be careful of cutting into the vinyl of the tile.You will then have a series of strips.

Now it is time to take your graphed strips and cut with the exacto blade along the lines and you will then have your slate squares for your floor.

Now you are ready to peel the backs and lay your tiles in a pattern on your base. You can add a dab of glue if you need to. Your base may be too wide or too small for the tiles, so the tiles may have to be cut down. This will give you an oppurtunity to make an interesting pattern for the floor.

Here are the photos of me looking at what it would be widely spaced, closely space and then done awaiting grouting. Kat is helping!Onto grouting or mortar!
At first, I chose a tub and tile grout/caulk. I didn't like how it shrunk. So I broke out the trusty sheetrock joint compound. This stuff is my favorite stuff besides paperclay to sculpt with. Right now I'll show you the pics I have.

It looks pretty good if I do say so myself. It will look better after it dries. When rubbing it across the tiles with your spreader, keep a damp cloth nearby to wipe up the excess off of the tiles like you see. you want to get alot of fill into those cracks and crevices. 
I managed to get the walls even today and do another better dry fit, with the finished floor. The windows and door have been cut out of the front wall. 

Not the best photos but I am really pleased how the walls came about when the floor was done. It really made this little cottage pop. It will be cramped but it is meant to be a prop and a magical place. The floor will probably get a weak dirty paint wash to make the mortar look worn and aged. I am really liking how it is coming together so quickly, but maybe that is because I have the finished product in my head!


Farrah Lily said...

Great tutorial! Thank you for sharing your process as I love miniatures and I have always wondered how people construct their own dollhouses. :)

Phyllis said...

Great tutorial! I have used the peel and press tiles for flooring, but have never thought of cutting them int small square and adding grout to make doll sized tiles. Very clever young lady! It looks good in your house too!

billa's dolls and fashions said...

Wow Lisa, it is coming along beautifully!
I'm always amazed at your craftmanship, I'll neve have the patience (or the space) but I'm fascinated!
Kisses Billa

Smaller Places said...

Neat floor tutorial! Now I know what to do if I feel the urge to upgrade Katie & Hayden's flooring.

Lisa Neault said...

thank you all for your encouragement! It would probably surprise you all to know it has been quite a while since I kitbashed what I consider a real dollhouse kit= aka one made out 'real' wood with instructions, etc. and not made out of cardboard boxes or scraps and spray paint by me, LOL..I have always said the 1:12 scale dollhouse miniaturist and model railroaders don't know how good they have it until they come to our scale.

I was really amazed at how the design came back to me like the old days when I used to customize and kitbash, it is sort of like riding a bike, since I can see the finished picture already in my head and - even more weird, I can dream or visualize like a puzzle, what needs to happen to make it look like the finished end result. But I haven't ridden a bike in years, so let's hope I have better results!

D7ana said...

Yay, Lisa. Thanks for the helpful tutorial. No one would think you'd been away from diorama-making. I need to bbokmark this page so I can return to it when I work on my dioramas.