Sunday, March 13, 2011

Couture Doll Design Challenge!

The Couture Doll Design Challenge, otherwise known as CDDC , has started a spring season. I have always wanted to do this challenge, since watching my friend Em'lia do the challenge and win about two years ago with her blog Creazione= creations in miniature & her flicker albums as well. Her designs were so inspiring, and the other contestants as well. The first challenge has been posted to the CDDC Website and yahoo group, and it is all about ribbons- the judge who came up with 'Tie one on!' is the owner of Masterstroke Canada- Dressmaker Details, Steven Fraser.  A few days ago when I saw the tentative schedule & contestants up for the challenge, I decided now was the time to challenge myself. I wished to complete the outfit before CDDC's 1st challenge was up- but I only have one piece to sew and the jewelry to finish- and I am done with my East Meets West challenge.  The entire outfit is handcrafted, no patterns used, handsewn, and even the shoes are made. My purpose in challenging myself was to spur on my creativity, and force myself to try new things- such as sewing, and see if I have what it takes to work with fabrics in clothing for dolls.

First I started with the sketches I had come to mind...and looked through my stash of fabrics.
I had already created the forms for the shoes, now I needed to pick out the color of paint to match the two contrasting fabrics. I finally settled on Tuscan Red.



In my design of East Meets West, I was designing for a young urbanite western (American ) woman who has made her home & life in Japan, and is married to a wealthy  business man. She loves the new fashion in Japan, and has an edgy, elegant style. My design was a sheath style with seperate bodice, skirt, and a sash that attaches in the back that resembles teh Obi sash on a kimono. The shoes are meant to resemble the torturous clogs/shoes that aristacratic Oriental woman wore to make their feet smaller, and these heels must be torturous to my Agnes Von Weiss model.  Shoes were handsculpted out of paperclay. inside soles are red leather, with floss ties.
           I will be posting more pics later when her jewelry and other part of the outfit is finished...

Though I admit my design is far from finished, and does not equal some of the contestants who are competing in this awesome doll courture challenge, I was pleased with my 1st try. I actually also enjoyed sewing the outfit, which surprised me. I shopped for the beads and supplies to make the dolls jewelry to match this. the lacings on her bodice also tie around the Obi sash. I finished her hairpiece items and still have to complete her fan accessory as well. I hope to be updating this entry later with the finished pictures, so stay tuned, and enjoy the new CDDC challenge site! I am trying to figure out a design using ribbons!
~Lisa

No comments: