Saturday, December 7, 2019

Antique bed project...

St. Nicholas' day came and went- yesterday! And so did Hubby's birthday. The month of December has already started and I am already behind. 

Here is a festive cake- that was my husband's birthday cake- to start off this blog post with...



I worked on an antique bed that I purchased for my Huret doll that I am planning for. I have the Huret doll 'head' but I have not yet purchased her 
Huret Dollspart body which I have been trying to save up for.  As well as her 

special Huret Wig . I was able to get my head from Tarheel creations, Sylvia Butler, and I have been keeping her in a safe place. 

But onto my antique bed. I had thought a long time ago about using the Cecile American Girl doll bed, or possibly the new Samantha doll bed. But I came across this antique doll bed at a ridiculous price on Ebay a couple of years ago. It was shipped, dis-assembled since it seemed to just screw together and was missing the bed slats. 











I have staged Annabelle and Marie Terese with the bed, but as you can see, they are far too small for it. I had this striped ticking cloth tucked away in my stash which I was convinced was somewhere in my stash in my home and come to find out, it was in my fabric container in my storage unit! I made the mattress out of two thicknesses of foam insulation glued together to fit the bed. The pillows are also made of the striped cloth ticking. I am planning on using antique embroidered handkerchiefs for the pillow shams to look as though the pillow cases are embroidered. 

I want to make sheets and and a quilt for this bed while I am working on getting my girl her body. I would like to do a tradional crazy quilt for this bed as Ithink it would be more historically accurate for this bed. And more complete for a Huret doll. The beauty of sewing for the Huret doll is how complete their trousseaux and accessories were. Ever since I was a child and saw these dolls in the Encyclopedia of Doll clothing, I have wanted one of these dolls- and this is a grail doll for me. 

I hope to have some more Christmas scenes for you soon. Enjoy! 

No comments: