Sunday, October 28, 2018

The Richmond, Va Doll Show and New Dolls

Yesterday I attended the Richmond Doll and Teddy bear show and it was great! Only I did not get many photos like I usually do. I did alot of socializing with friends at the show but boy was it fun! The dolls there at this show were really really amazing. There was a huge variety of dolls from Barbie, vintage Barbie, to Integrity dolls, to antique dolls, Madame Alexander, Cissy, Cissette, to Jumeau, Bebe, to Kestner, to Steiff bears, modern and antique, to Patti Playpal and PETER Playpal dolls! The choices were amazing. 



Here were some wonderful Madame Alexanders at a booth...and of course Sylvia Butler's booth as well


I was also able to finally get my Huret head from Sylvia...now to just order the body...from Dollspart  I have been wanting this doll for ages and now they have just debuted the Jumeau. (sob) But I would really rather have a 12 inch Smiling bru . Before any of those ladies come home, Annabelle needs a beau. 

Before I went to the show, I was feverishly working on two dolls for my friends Karon and Marina. Karon stated she would be sharing a table with one of our doll club friends Anna and selling some of her Integrity and Barbie dolls . We have not been able to get together for lunch on our birthdays, in May, so I went all out and created dolls for Halloween- their favorite holiday- and brought the dolls to the show for them. 

I used Fashionista Kens I had on hand or had purchased at yard sales. Their outfits were made with Halloween socks and ribbon  from Dollar General. I painted their faces. 







Marina's doll is the Scaredy- Cat Ken clown, I thought this one turned out pretty well, especially his face paint. 



This one I did for Karon. I received the socks in my pumpkin treat at the halloween party from Jodi and she instantly recognized them. The doll I got in my raffle from Scarlett. The ladies at our Barbie club booth went nuts and asked if I could teach them at a club meeting how to do a sock tuturial and I said sure .. It 's fun and easy and you just really take the sock and cut to fit the ken doll since he is basically a figure. The pom poms were from  Hobby Lobby. 

It was so much fun I was thinking of looking for more weird looking Fashionistas and doing more clown dolls since I have some more socks to use up. 

I also got some dolls at the show. The first picture shows ALL of my loot, including my Huret head from Sylvia. 
I got the two Donny Osmond Look alike dolls for $3 each at one booth, and the Malibu Francie from Arnoldo who is selling off his stash for $5 , and the BMR outfit from a friend, Linda for $20. One of my Poppy's doesn't have enough outfits...lol. If I had had unlimited money I would have brought home more dolls. I need to look up my two guys. But they really look like Donny Osmond. 







3 comments:

Romona said...

Wonderfull photos from the doll show :).

Treesa said...

The two male dolls looked familiar, so I did a quick page through of my copy of The Ultimate Barbie Doll Book by Marcie Melillo. The male doll with the rooted hair looks to me like a Sport & Shave Ken from 1979. As for the painted hair male doll, I found three different Ken dolls that utilized that head mold with that combination of hair and eye colors. They are Western Ken from 1980, Dream Date Ken from 1982, and Horse Lovin' Ken from 1982. All three of these dolls have the 'superstar' Ken head mold, dark hair, blue eyes, and bent arms. Judging by the pictures in the book, it looks like the easiest way to get a positive id would be to compare eyebrow shapes. There are slight variations in the shape of the eyebrows between these three dolls.
Hope this info helps.
Signed, Treesa

Lisa Neault said...

Thank you so much Treesa! That helps me so much! I went with them because they were vintage kens, but mostly because they looked like Donny Osmond, or the mold, though I know they were not the doll. It's great to know the rooted doll could be a Sport and Shave Ken! Thank you again.
Romona, thank you for your kind comments. I only regret I didn't take better and more pics to share.