Wednesday, April 18, 2018

The Toys We Played With...

I have found the older I become, the more I am drawn to the dolls and items I played with or collected as  a child. In short, I am spending more money to collect what I played with as a child , especially if it comes 'mint in box' or with the box. :) 

For instance, though I love Integrity Toys, I am more drawn the the vintage looks of Poppy Parker and the Victoire Roux dolls than the bitchy looking Fashion Royalty or NuFace dolls of the 21st century with their over-edgy looks of today. I find I long for gloves, hats, pencil skirts, suits, spectator pumps, zuit suits, and especially fur stoles to go with those evening gowns. gasp!  Ok, kill me, I'm a fan of  the 40's, 50's and the 60's fashion. 

I recently picked up this gem of a toy in a bin of toys at an auction- a Marx Johnny West Geronimo Indian Chief with two war bonnets. He's in great working mint condition. The kid next door had an army of these action figures, including Jane West, who I wanted but my mom wouldn't buy them because they were 'boy's toys.' :(  The horses are the coolest things about these sets because they are so detailed, especially the covered wagons. We would play them with the barbies and the GI Joes and the Sunshine Family. 






Then, one day while idly browsing through one of my favorite antique stores, I found a lovely hexagon mint Francie case. I had never owned one of these. 



I think my quest now is to own a vintage Francie, her clothing fits Poppy and going through my childhood dolls, I have found several pieces of Francie clothing. I don't remember owning Francie, as a child, so I either must have traded for it, because the outfit is not complete. 

And here is one of my childhood dolls still intact, Walk Lively Barbie . 



She still walks on her stand, but she is fragile, so I am very careful with her. As a kid she was one of my favorite dolls besides PJ and Sweet Sixteen and Miss America. 

Hopefully it is my plan for my birthday this year to maybe treat myself to a vintage lovely , but I haven't decided which one yet. I have been looking at different items. There were several things I owned as a kid, that I haven't re-collected such as the Beach bus. It is hard to find intact. I really want to get a few outfits. Other items I want to collect are the sleep n' keep cases. 

All for now. Enjoy your vintage finds! Lisa

No comments: