Saturday, August 26, 2017

The Comic Book Store project...

This is a project that got started early last year and never got finished. I am only just now picking up where I left off and getting it in gear, and pursuing my dream- completing the diorama of Comic Book Central from THe Big Bang Theory where Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Raj all hang out. 

So far, I have Sheldon and Amy. Finding a suitable head sculpt for Stuart is going to be difficult. I may have to resort to Shapeways where I have found head sculpts of Raj and Howard. Sometimes you can get the artist to do a special sculpt. Leonard is harder to find. I know what dolls I would use for Penny and Bernadette, just have to acquire them. 

The store is made out of 1/2 inch foamcore and I used magic brick to do the sides, only I messed up last year on it. So I decided to make the mistake into a design decision by making the building look run down and planned to do graffitti on the building. That will come on the sides and back later. I have not yet sculpted the brick on the front with the windows. Originally this was supposed to be a Honeyduke's store for my Harry Potter and Ron Weasley figures. But then I thought how cool would it be do a comic book store. I got the idea when I saw all the collectible arcade and superhero miniatures in Target and Walmart that fit Sheldon. 

Here are some of the progress photos so far. I need to decide on what color flooring I'm going to do and how to stabilize the front. Originally I was going to hinge it. I may just have it so it is put in place when not in use. 





The figures on the shelves are made of metal and came in single boxes for .97 cents, one large box with about 10 for $9.98, and a box of 4-5 for $4.98. They are made by DC Comics and Marvel and measure about 2 inches in height. They look similar to Hot Toys and pass for the figures you see in Stuart's store.






On the sides of the building you can see the problems I had with the magic brick. This is why I was going to do advertisements and graffitti on the sides of the building, to make it look run down and like the adds on the sides of the building were peeling. The front of course, would be different. 

I am almost tempted to do a silver floor in this scene. It would really make everything pop, and I have some silver paper. Wood grained flooring looks odd with this blue. 

I want to think outside the box since comic book stores , the modern ones, usually have bright colors and alot of edgy artwork. 

Lisa 

2 comments:

monstercrafts said...

What an awesome project! I'm not feeling the wood grain floor either, so I'm looking foward to see what you come up with. I love the figurines, they look so cool!

Cheers!

Lisa Neault said...

Usually I'm not stumped when I go into a project on flooring. I think originally I was going to use a wood flooring or a checkerboard, since this was going to be a candy store for Harry Potter. But now- since it's a modern comic book store, I am really stumped. I'm wondering if a contact marble paper in a really light color wouldn't be better or a bold, color like silver wouldn't be all out cool too. Sort of super hero-ish.