Saturday, May 21, 2011

New project dollhouse

I have a new project on the works, of restoration. The house is quite special because it was my childhood dollhouse, created for me by my stepdad when I was nine years old- back in 1974-1975. It is unique because it isn't really too scale, but was made for me to play with my 8 inch Madame Alexander dolls. Remember the 2 little girls and a little dollhouse, from Sesame street, where the kittens crash the party? click the video above, this was one of my favorites as a child.

The house had been repainted along in 2001 0r 2002 for my stepdaughter when she turned about 7 years old, and was repainted in her color choices, and we had an open dollhouse party for her birthday. Since it has been just sitting there, I noticed the scale of the house, similar to the dollhouse in the video (I estimate the scales of the two houses to be 1 1/2 inches to the foot, since they were chubby little Madame Alexanders) would be wonderful for my tiny bjd's, especially April Mae, my new Leekeworld doll project Rainy acquisition I got for my birthday.
I have started to paint the house, white with black roof shingles. I still need to repair the shingles in places.


Here are some of the pictures after it was painted with primer and one coat of regular house paint. The interior needs alot of work. The most beautiful thing about this house is the staircase, with closet underneath that my stepdad Mr. Tom, made me. I will probably be wallpapering it inside - since this house is going to be upgraded to be a little modern. The house is quite large, it sits on casters. I remember it was made that way so I could roll it into the den or living room and be with the family while I played.
The doors and windows are much tougher, but I have decided on bay windows on the four larger windows. The one overtop of the door will be the hardest to work. I will probably use a 1:12 scale door built up with stripwood and moldings for the front door.



April Mae has already picked out her windows, still need to order more. She likes the view but isn't too sure she will like the painting prospect. I have included this house in the One Sixth Scale Dollhouse blog because though it will be decorated in 1:12 scale, you will see occasional oddities in scale with this house, such as Rement, etc. since the tinies love Rement.
A note on April Mae:  She is quite a fiesty little one, even more so than Dixie. And that's bossy! She likes things 'just so' and is quite unsatisfied with the haphazaard way the tinies have run things at Strawberry Hill Manor. I named her April Mae because she arrivedin April, and May was my birthday month. April Mae is quite demanding in the clothing department, so the vintage Tutti dress was the first thing she stole from one of the other dolls. lol. More on April Mae later....
~Lisa

No comments: