Monday, August 19, 2024

Dorothy Coleman Doll Club Meeting

I was recently invited to the August meeting of the Dorothy Coleman Doll Club here in Virginia, that my friend, Allison Jewell, who is a member . The Dorothy Coleman Doll Club of Virginia is a United Federation Doll Club so you have to be a member to join. I am considering joining, since I collect more than just Barbie and would like to expand my doll friendships with others who collect more than just fashion dolls. 

The meeting was held in one of the members' homes, and her name was Ramona. A presentation on Ruby Red Galleria dolls was given by two ladies, and I was able to get some quick shots of the dolls, which are a lovely translucent type of vinyl and they are ball jointed. They look fun to collect and are affordable and measure 15-16 inches in height and have siblings which are 12 inches in height. 

Here are some of the photos of the dolls-








Some of these were special editions and I wish I had got photos of the table before they started to pack up the display. These dolls were really adorable.

The rest of the photos were of Ramona's antique doll and dollhouse collection. 

The club was also celebrating their 40th anniversary celebration- so we were asked to wear red for ruby and bring a doll wearing red as well. I brought 

one of my W Club Gene Marshall Dolls dressed in a red evening gowns, which many of the ladies adored. I wanted to carry one of my larger girls, instead of the 12 inch girls, since I do not get to share the Gene Marshall or Tonner ladies. 
























Ramona had a wide variety of dollhouses, antique dolls, displays, in her doll room and a wide variety of dolls- I was excited to see the members were also into American Girl dolls! I have wanted to devote so much time to my 18 inch dolls, especially sewing for them and as well, picking up Our Generation girls at the Goodwill that I see and customizing and restoring them. My intention has been to do a 18 inch American Girl/ Our Generation doll Nativity with the Pixie Faire pattern and I have been putting it off because of time and space. Once I dress the dolls I would store them in a plastic tub and just take them out at Christmas to display. My church does a Nativity pageant each year and charges tickets as a fundraiser and people bring a variety of nativities for the pageant display. I have always wanted to create this nativity in two scales- 1:6 and 1:3 scales. I have done it once before in 1:6 scale but would like to do it again more in depth. I would also like to do a Thanksgiving diorama with 18 inch dolls in pilgrim costume. 

So hopefully , by the end of the year I might be joining another doll club! 

Lisa 
 

No comments: