Saturday, April 17, 2021

Happy Birthday to Gene Marshall!





Though I know this blog was originally intended for the 1:6 scale crowd, I cannot help paying homage to my 16 inch girls, namely Gene Marshall & friends , by the artist Mel Odom, who I have begun to collect recently.
According to Gene's Bio on Wiki she was born on April 17, 1923 to Alfred and Alice Marshall in Cos Cob, Connecticut . She was 'discovered' in 1941 while working as an usherette. 
Above Gene, the doll in the middle, is celebrating her birthday with friends Ivy Jordan on the left  (Jason Wu Integrity Toys registration doll ) and Madra Lord on the right (Ashton Drake Mel Odom The Ultimate Madra ) In the middle is an Ashton Drake Gene doll- I do not know which doll edition this is. All three are wearing cotton dresses made from the 1999 Vogue #704 pattern which is easy once you get the hang of it. I used the sheath dress pattern and was quite pleased with it, using cotton prints. 

Here are some close-ups of the other dresses-I have already shown the dress Gene is wearing at Easter in my last blog entry.

Ivy in her green sheath


Madra in her black rose sheath



                                             Gene in the lavender sheath shown again.





A closeup of the birthday cake I quickly made for this photo shoot. 
(Shhh...I cheated. It is actually two medicine bottle caps glued together, and caulk is used to 'ice' it, then I used ear swabs cut down for birthday cake candles and more 'icing' applied on top- voila! a Gene -sized birthday cake.
The pretty little plate is part of a set of depression cake plates in doll size from my collection of depression glass. 


Happy Birthday Gene!

 

2 comments:

The grandmommy said...

Pretty dresses. The print scale works perfectly.

Lisa Neault said...

thank you!