Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Happy Hinamatsuri day!

 On the third day of the third month, (March 3rd) the Japanese celebrate Hinamatsuri, otherwise known as the Doll Festival or the Girls Festival. Ceremonial dolls are displayed with special foods, with celebrations. 

Here are some of my past Hinamatsuri displays. I hope you enjoy these from the archives. 














I hope you have enjoyed the photos, and celebrate your own Hinamatsuri display for your dolls. 

To celebrate this day more in depth- suggested reading- by Rumor Godden- Miss Happiness and Miss Flower , this book has plans for an actual Japanese dollhouse 

To celebrate an actual Hinamatsuri festival by Rumor Godden , Little Plum  is a great sequal to Miss Happiness & Miss Flower . The dolls celebrate the Dolls Festival and make friends with Little Plum, and her lonely little owner next door. 

Both are timeless books and should be any doll collector's library. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I really, really need to find those books. Thank you for sharing your Hinamatsuri decorations with us!

Treesa said...

I'm a big fan of Godden's books, so it's great to see someone else promoting her work.
Signed, Treesa

Dorothy In PA said...

Thank you for introducing us to this wonderful festival.

I don't think we have anything like it in the US. The closest I can think of is World Doll Day, established by Mildred Seeley and celebrated in June.

Lisa Neault said...

Barb, you are welcome. The books are easy to find on Ebay, and Amazon. I always shop ebay but you can probably get them on amazon with free shipping. They are invaluable to me as the first one has plans for a japanese dollhouse.
Treesa, I agree. Rumor Godden had so much skill and imagination. I wonder sometimes if she did not herself collect dollhouses and dolls
Dorothy, you are right. I constantly forget about World Doll day, but always remember this wonderful festival.